What You Need to Know Before Getting a Pet Bird
Although pet birds are not the most common household pets, they can be brilliant and entertaining pets to have around the house. If you’re thinking about getting a pet bird, here are a few things you need to know before you bring home your feathered friend:
- Develop an early morning routine and plan to wake up early: Birds tend to be early risers and will wake up as the sun rises or when they begin to hear other birds. If you’re a late-morning sleeper, begin adjusting your sleep schedule to rise early so you can greet your pet.
- Eliminate household hazards: Birds have very sensitive and delicate respiratory systems that need to remain strong for your bird to be healthy. For this reason, eliminate any smoking, air fresheners, candles, and other airborne particles around the house.
- Clean every day: It should come as no surprise that birds can be pretty messy pets. Depending on the areas you allow them to roam in, you will need sanitizing wipes, cloth, and a vacuum. Be ready to clean every day to maintain a clean and fresh environment for both you and your pet.
- Create a spacious environment: Birds need room to roam around and fly. Consider getting a cage that is at minimum 3 times the size of the bird’s wingspan. You will also need room to keep their supplies, stand, and other materials.
- Budget accordingly: Taking care of a bird requires you to provide them the proper diet each and every day, buy them toys for entertainment, build a spacious environment for them, and take them to the vet for checkups and other health needs. Be sure to budget your expenses accordingly to make sure you are in a suitable financial situation to get a bird.
Once you get a pet bird, you will need a reliable and trustworthy veterinarian in your area that has the expertise to provide good guidance for your bird’s medical and healthcare needs. Many vets are capable dog and cat providers, but few specialize in exotics and avians.
At City Vet, We Love All Types of Animals
As an exotic and avian vet in the Astoria, Long Island City, and surrounding areas, we care for birds, reptiles, rabbits, pocket pets, and more and are here to help with both routine wellness care and sick care. We can even help you learn more about your unique pet and provide you with guidance regarding their habitat, diet, etc. Our team is passionate about animals of all kinds and will do everything possible to care for your unusual pet. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.