5 Healthy Snacks for your Cat
It’s important to feed our cats healthy snacks on a regular basis. Obesity in cats is a common problem and can result in diseases like diabetes, cancer, and even skin problems. There are a few ways you can see if your cat is overweight:
- Ribs: Try grazing your hands along your cat’s side. Can you feel their ribs with a little bit of fat covering it up? If so, then your cat is at a healthy weight! If you can’t easily feel the ribs, then your cat is most likely overweight.
- Abs: If your cat has a layer of low hanging fat when you look at them from the side, then that’s a sign your cat is overweight.
- Spine: Run your hands across your cat’s back and see if you can easily feel their bones. If not, this is another sign that your cat is a bit heavy.
- Waist: Look at your cat from above and check if you can see their waist. If not, your cat may be overweight.
Try Giving Your Cat These Treats
If your cat is showing some of the signs of obesity from above, then don’t panic! Luckily, there are ways you can help your cat. For example, try giving them some of the following healthy snacks:
- Small pieces of lean mean: Give your cat small pieces of lean meat. They can benefit from the protein and amino acids that are naturally found in these delicious treats and by giving them lean versions of the meat, you can reduce their fat intake as well.
- Baked or steamed vegetables: Vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, asparagus, and squash are great options for your cat.
- Whole grains: Unlike refined grains, whole grains such as oatmeal, maize, and brown rice, have great nutritional value such as vitamins, iron, and fiber.
- Green beans: Try giving your cat these delicious treats, which are full of fiber but don’t have the high-calorie counts as some of the other treats your cat may be used to. You can give these treats either raw or steamed.
- Eggs: Eggs are packed with protein and are excellent snacks for your cat. It’s best to serve these lightly scrambled without any salt, pepper, or other seasonings.
Making sure your cat has a well-balanced and nutritious diet is an important step in maintaining your cat’s health. If you need any advice or would like to visit a reliable and experienced vet in the Astoria / Long Island area, check us out at City Vet Veterinary Clinic. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!